Saturday, April 14, 2018

Tom's broken arm and leg and a Review: The Busy Mom's Guide to Writing by Jamie Foley and Angela Castillo


I'm a little bit fraught because Tom broke his left leg and right arm last week. He slipped on a soapy floor at work and twisted his knee, went down badly a few hours later when the knee went nuclear on him, and when we took him to the clinic, they pronounced broken bones.

Thankfully he's very tough, and as I work from home, I can take care of him.We're certainly getting an up-close-and-personal view of what life will be like when we're 80!

With our good friend Stu passing away so suddenly in an accident six weeks ago, we're not having a lot of fun in 2018. But it can only go up from here, right?

So, to move on to the review!

There are a tonne of How To books for authors on the market, and given that publishing has undergone some significant changes over the last decade, I love to see what people are saying.

I came across The Busy Mom's Guide to Writing on a Goodreads review group. Disclosure: I was sent an ARC and am reviewing voluntarily.

First, it's really short. It took me just over 90 minutes to read. Also, it's American and the authors assume you are living in the West or at least a Kindle country. So if you're in Malaysia like me, some of the advice needs tweaking.

Having said that, here's the review as published on Amazon.  

The Busy Mom's Guide to Writing 
By Jamie Foley and Angela Castillo 
120 pages
Paperback and Kindle Editions
ASIN: B0797HV4R7
Price: sorry, Amazon won't show me a price

This short and sweet guide covers to basic writing journey from how to figure out how long your story should be, all the way up to what kind of publishing deal you might be comfortable with.

I liked the rah-rah bit at the start that is simply encouragement but for me the gold was the discussion of the industry as it is today. 

If you've no clue about the differences between indie, traditional and hybrid publishing, or what kind of editing you need to source before you send your baby out into the world, you should read this.

This is an introduction, expect to use it as a springboard to find more information, but it’s good stuff. Def recommended.

I am asked on a regular basis to give advice to people who want to write, and honestly, if they read this first, it would set them on the right path. So if you're in a kindle country, this is a read to check out.
 


That's it. I'll blog again in a week or ten days. To be sure you don't miss a post, chuck your email into the Follow Box on the right --->

Oooor, join the newsletter! I send those out only every few months, so I won't be flooding your inbox.

I'll be on FB in the morning. Join me, no friend invite needed, by clicking here




 Cheers, Ellen




No comments:

Post a Comment